Why I Use Amazon
Careful, it's addictive!
I'm still kicking the boards at 77 (as of this writing). I live in an area that is within walking distance of a couple of strip malls with limited services (even the local Big Six bank branch closed recently). Since I don't drive anymore, the only way to get to larger stores and supermarkets is by using the local horrendous bus service or taxi. (I don't trust the Uber system. I sit in the front seat of today's mini taxis. Not like Checkers).
What you will need
- Computer, cellphone or tablet with image viewing capability
- Email address
- Heavy-duty box cutter
- Cardboard recycling service
- Credit card
- A safe place to receive boxes if you won't be home at delivery time, or use one of their local drop-off locations.
- A Prime membership is not mandatory but pays for itself if you use Amazon even just a couple of times a month. (About $11-12 a month or cheaper annually)
Convenience
Amazon is open for business 24/7 and sits in a Tab, ready to do business. You can just close the tab if you like and reopen it via a shortcut or another method.
You can add an item to your existing order, and they will advise you of how that will work out shipping-wise. They will even deliver in the middle of the night if that works for you. The Property Management here has given Amazon an access code so they can pass it on to UPS, so porch pirates are not an issue. You can have it dropped off at a local drop-off point, which may or may not be convenient depending on your location relative to that place. It also avoids the inconsistent use of Canada Post, which closed the local service in our area, so now you need to take a taxi or a long walk to the nearest post office. As a result, companies that use Canada Post as their primary get dropped from my place of purchase unless they are small packages that will fit in my apartment mailbox in the lobby.
Since Amazon doesn't stock everything they offer in the warehouse, your product selection is much greater than you can find in any store. Often you will find what you are looking for at sale prices.
They will split the order up when an item isn't available for immediate shipment or comes from another province or state, and you could end up getting multiple shipments in a day, week, or month.
They will split the order up when an item isn't available for immediate shipment or comes from another province or state, and you could end up getting multiple shipments in a day, week, or month.
If they aren't able to complete an order, it is best to cancel the entire order and split it into separate orders, reordering each item individually if you are a Prime Member, because freight costs are very seldom charged. The minimum order size in dollars is not very restrictive either.
Their customer support is outstanding (once you get past those stupid bots), as I found out when I lost access to my account and all the information that goes with it. It had to do with changing my cell number, and all the 2-step verification was linked to the old phone number, so I couldn't sign in to fix that problem.
They also have a comprehensive tracking system that lets you know where the package is en route (e.g., 4 stops away) and a good resolution for porch pirates, other than my hope that they all go to that place.
Hello,
This is Enna from the Account Change Team at Amazon.It was a pleasure to speak to you today.Today I've unlocked your account, updated your phone number, and verified that you can now sign in to your Amazon account.I've also verified that you can now sign back in to your account.Thanks for being such a great customerBest regards,Amazon.ca
And today, someone took a package from the lobby shelf, where used items are often left for anyone to take. This package was sealed and had an Amazon label on it, on a factory package (Amazon almost always has brown wrappers on these), left by one lazy driver, since all the others left them in front of the apartment door. Could be a porch pirate since the box is somewhat visible through the lobby glass, but more likely a tenant not using their head. Amazon ultimately sent me a replacement after I spoke with a real agent, not a bot. I put up a note for the potential tenant who isn't very familiar with how Amazon works. All good so far. (A replacement arrived at 6:20 a.m. the next day)



This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete